Re: [Shop-talk] Wiring a new compressor.

To: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>, Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wiring a new compressor.
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 22:49:38 -0500
The neutral goes nowhere.  A 220V load just needs the two wires.  If
an appliance also wants to run something on 110V, then it requires a
neutral.  This is common when 220V is used for something like a
heating element and control electronics, light, clock, etc run on
110V.  Just stick a wire nut on the extra wire and leave it
unconnected.  You still need the bare wire connected to the green
screw, but that only comes into play as a safety device when
something goes wrong.  The motor itself is running on the two wires
attached to L1 and L2.