Re: [Shop-talk] Garage door opener problem

To: Jorge Garcia <fortee9er@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Garage door opener problem
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 20:46:40 -0500
I would say that the door might have been frozen when you tried to open it
when it was cold.  A gear may have broken or stripped out (or maybe just
few teeth off of a gear.)  The reason that it worked once more might have
been that the door was stopped in a place where the gear could get a bite
few times, but now it's worn completely out.

I would disconnect the door and see if the opener works without it on it.

Moose
Waldo Emerson

Jorge Garcia <fortee9er@yahoo.com>
Sent by: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
12/06/2009 06:16 PM

shop-talk@autox.team.net
cc

Subject
[Shop-talk] Garage door opener problem

The Craftsman (1/2 hp) garage door opener in my garage is suddenly not
working. It makes clicking noises but the chain doesn't move. I don't know
if weather has anything to do with it but it started a couple of days ago
when we experienced snow and the temperature has not risen beyond 50 F.
While this unusual for Houston I am sure that the Sears did not make it
with warm weather in mind. The opener did work one day when the
temperatures had risen and the sun was out. The garage is detached and not
insulated.
Please let me know how I can troubleshoot this problem.
Thanks
Jorge
You are subscribed as eric@megageek.com