Re: [Shop-talk] Garage door opener problem

To: Jorge Garcia <fortee9er@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Garage door opener problem
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 20:02:50 -0500
On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Jorge Garcia <fortee9er@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Craftsman (1/2 hp) garage door opener in my garage is suddenly not
> working. It makes clicking noises but the chain doesn't move. I don't know
> if weather has anything to do with it but it started a couple of days ago
> when we experienced snow and the temperature has not risen beyond 50 F.
> While this unusual for Houston I am sure that the Sears did not make it with
> warm weather in mind. The opener did work one day when the temperatures had
> risen and the sun was out. The garage is detached and not insulated.
> Please let me know how I can troubleshoot this problem.
> Thanks
> Jorge

take the cover off and look at the gears.  the gear train on these things is
plastic.  They break.   You'll see lots of white plastic shavings.  There
are a number of kits you can get.  Some consist of just the drive gear (The
motor drives a worm gear, which drives a gear on the vertical shaft that
drives the chain).  Some have the drive gear, the worm, and assorted
hardware.  The one you want is the worm gear, the whole shaft (assembled),
some hardware, and grease.  It's about 30 or 40 bucks directly from sears
(you can get it cheaper.).

If that's not what's wrong, there are a set of screws that control the
amount of force that it can produce before hitting a limit.  You could
increase them.  But also check that there isn't something wrong with the
mechanics of the door.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com