Re: [Shop-talk] Heating a shop

To: Matt <mbarre@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Heating a shop
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:28:41 -0500
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Matt <mbarre@juno.com> wrote:

> We have them in our hangar at work and they are reported to "primarily heat
> the floor & contents vice the air".  They seem to do the job as recovery is
> pretty good after the doors are opened & closed.  Ours do have vents
> though...
>
> That's a feature of radiant heating.  Comfort of humans has not a whole lot
to do with air temperature, but with the temperature of their surroundings.
 You can be quite comfortable in cold air, if there's a good radiant heat
source aimed at you.  (Think bright sunny days in winter, for instance.)  On
the other hand, I used to work in a shop with radiant heat, and it sucked.
 The nominal air temp was 62, which was fine, but what would happen is you'd
open a door, drive a cold, snow covered car in, put it on the lift, and
stand under the car.  The car got the benefit of the heater, and snow
melted, and dripped on you.  You, on the other hand, got the benefit of
amazing radiant cooling from the frozen car, and got melt water dripped down
you back.  I would have to work hard to make a heating system any less
pleasant.  It's probably not as bad with airplanes.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com