Re: [Shop-talk] Plumbing a shop (it's that time of the year again)

To: pat@hornesystemstx.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Plumbing a shop (it's that time of the year again)
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:52:34 -0800
Pat Horne wrote:
> If the PVC is fully enclosed in a wall or ceiling, and any pipe that
> comes out into the open was metal, I'd consider it protected, but in a
> shop where the pipes are exposed, and can get hit or stressed, I
> wouldn't consider using it.

I'm not sure if PVC work-hardens from the pressurization cycles.  I know
it doesn't react well to UV exposure.  I'd never use Sch40 PVC in a
pressurized-gas environment.

I suppose Sch80 might be a different story - I used Sch80 PVC for the
water supply to our house and to all the pre-valve sprinkler piping, the
bldg dept here does not permit metal in the ground - but it's harder to
work with and considerably more expensive - more expensive than copper
IIRC.

There's one stretch of exposed outdoor Sch80 PVC to the fire sprinkler
valve at our house, the building guy made me paint it with a paint
labeled for UV resistance.

My garage and shop are plumbed in copper.  I have, like everyone else
that puts such things inside the walls during construction or remodel,
found that there were places I needed a drop (like the top of the lift,
for the lock release) and didn't have one and ended up running pipe on
the wall afterward (I also mounted my compressor way up on the wall in
the garage - with an outlet for it up there - but didn't switch the
outlet - so ended up running a piece of wiremold down the wall for a
switch box.  I did, however, put switches in the lift outlet circuits,
which now get used almost exclusively when accidentally bumped and I
can't figure out why the lift doesn't work.  Live and learn.)

Otherwise, the only bad thing about the piping (and this is true of my
220V wiring too) is that I should have run three or four more drops from
the shop around the outside walls of the house.

  PVC can break into many small pieces when it