Re: [Shop-talk] Micrometers

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Micrometers
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 21:38:28 -0400
On Oct 29, 2009, at 20:04, Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com> wrote:

> The $19.95 HF 6" digital caliper has the interesting property
> that if you turn it off, the display blanks, but it otherwise keeps
> working.  for example, if you turn it off, move it, and turn it on
> again, it correctly indicated the new position.  In fact, I think
> the battery will last just as long if you leave it on all the time.

They all do that. It's a requirement of the multiple pole printed
capacitor. If the circuit doesn't watch all the time it can't tell if
it's moved. The power use when the display is off and it's not moving
is really low. The display is low power but higher than the resting
circuit.

While the digital calipers are pretty well to the sort of junk that
dmages the gears of a dial, they're vulnerable to liquid that changes
the capacitance of the linear encoder. Some are better sealed than
others.