Re: [Shop-talk] air bags and dash work

To: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air bags and dash work
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:02:58 -0700
Well, the dealer wanted $50 extra to do the check because they had to remove
the cover and the independent smog check guys wanted $20-$25 extra to do it. I
suppose it is because they need to visually inspect the connections at the
rear of the engine and you cannot see much of anything from under the hood.

I ended up taking it to an independent smog check and paid $20 extra for them
to remove and replace it. After thinking about the air bags going off and also
driving to the smog station with the cover removed, I figured I would give
them the $20 and if they popped off the air bags, it would be on them to
replace them. I also just had shoulder surgery and the right arm/shoulder is
not working so hot...

I watched them remove the cover and they did not appear to disable the air
bags sensors or pull the fuse. I think the manual is reflecting the potential
legal issues...

best,

shook
'72 BSA B50SS