[Shop-talk] air bags and dash work

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] air bags and dash work
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:22:01 -0700
Hi guys,

I need to smog check my 03 GMC cargo van for the first time and will need to
remove the engine cover (under the dashboard) to get the smog check done.

I have done this many times for previous older vans, but when I looked at the
GMC shop manual there are all sorts of dire warnings about disabling the air
bag SIR, pulling the fuse, disconnecting all the various zone sensors, etc. It
makes the job a lot more complicated that I had envisioned.

Is all of this air bag precaution actually necessary to remove the engine
cover or is this over-cautious legalese for the benefit of the personal injury
lawyers. Thanks.

best,

doug