[Shop-talk] [Fwd: Re: HF Tire Changer]

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] [Fwd: Re: HF Tire Changer]
From: Steve Dillen <sdillen@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 19:49:12 -0700
doh....replied to Mark instead of to the list.....

I tried that once.  I used a sawzall to cut the sidewall around and
>THEN< found out that there was no 'body' left to the tire to help
unseat the bead.  It was NOT a fun project and really just made a huge
mess.  $50 for a bracket that'll hold the rim in place and the iron to
lever the bead over the edge of the rim is cheap, and for steel rims
like those on my utility trailer and Jeep it works fine.  I just
wouldn't use one of these manual machines to swap tires on my wife's 7
series BMW!

In a pinch, I have had some success using a high-lift jack to unseat the
bead and then a pair of big screwdrivers and a crowbar (wonderbar type)
to remove the tire (that's my approach for an offroad trail repair if a
plug won't do the trick)....but it is a LOT of work.

Steve Dillen
Maple Ridge, BC