[Shop-talk] building computer shelf

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] building computer shelf
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:10:50 +0000 (UTC)
Only shop related in that I'm using my personal tools to do the job. But you
people have proven yourselves too competent in the past (MJB, I'm using your
air tank filling idea exactly as you had it in the picture, thanks) not to ask.
Sorry.

I have a new laptop with docking station (Lenovo ThinkPad, because someone will
ask).

Old one was on floor under desk. Want this one off the floor lest it get
kicked. Initial idea to build fixed shelf for docking station under desk,
affixed to vertical desk supports and/or underside of desk top.

Better (geekier) plan: build large sliding tray that will slide out from under
desk, enabling me to drop ThinkPad into docking station (it drops in from the
top, not slides in from the side) so I don't have to bend over or crawl on the
floor to dock the computer.

So, am about to go procure heavy-duty sliding rails and build what amounts to a
three-sided drawer (no front, back just to add rigidity to tray) and affix it
to the underside of the desk top with angle brackets.

However, you guys know everything. Anybody got a better idea?

Thanks.

Scott