Re: [Shop-talk] stripping large wire

To: john niolon <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] stripping large wire
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:30:58 -0500
John,

I use a very sharp razor knife. Most folks who are not familiar with
stripping wire try to cur straight into the insulation, down to the
wire. This can nick the wire, causing the possibility of the conductor
failing. The correct way is to pretend you are whittling a stick, cut
out pieces of insulation lengthwise on the wire, repeating the cuts
until you are down to the wire. It doesn't look as good as cutting the
insulation straight, but it protects the  wire more. If you prefer the
sharp edge look, cut straight down, but not all the way to the wire. Use
a pair of pliers to bend and twist the insulation until it breaks free
of the rest, then pull it off.

Since you say that you have only a few connections to make, it is
probably not worth the expense to purchase a large wire stripper. There
is another type of stripper that I have used over the years that uses a
piece of nichrome wire and a transformer. Heat up the nichrome wire and
press it against the insulation. It will melt through the insulation,
down to the wire. You can then make a single lengthwise cut so that the
insulation can be peeled off. Again, the time taken to build such a
stripper would be much longer than just stripping the wire with a knife.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake john niolon, On 9/23/2009 11:08 AM:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001