Re: [Shop-talk] Yet Another Wiring Question

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Yet Another Wiring Question
From: Vin Marshall <vlm@te-motorworks.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:11:39 -0400
A 2 phase circuit would look like what I have here in my shop (an old
building in Philadelphia): two separate, 240 V single phase circuits
phased 90 degrees apart.  Upon entering the shop, these two circuits
run into a 2 phase -> 3 phase transformer.

Interesting footnote: This building is apparently supplied by the
city with 3 phase (the city having all but terminated 2 phase service
so far as I know to all but a small group of buildings), which is
apparently transformed to 2 phase and run through out the building to
the individual shops, which may then either pull off one leg for
single phase 240 V service, or which may use both legs for conversion
back to 3 phase (or do a little of both, as I do).

The building is reported to have a quite unfavorable power factor.

-vin