[Shop-talk] Yet Another Wiring Question

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Yet Another Wiring Question
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:51:54 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

I'm planning to add a pair of circuits to my home's circuit breaker panel for a
whole-house surge suppressor, an Insteon phase coupler, and an outlet, all
right next to the box in the little closet where it is located.  Since the
surge suppressor and phase coupler work with both phases, I am using two
independent 15-amp breakers.

My question is about the outlet:  I can take a standard duplex outlet and break
the little tab connecting the hot sides, thus turning it into two independent
outlets.  I want to do this, and feed one phase to the upper outlet, and the
other phase to the lower outlet, with each on a separate breaker.

Is this allowed according to the NEC?  Is it a good idea?  Would it be more
legal, or wiser, to use a duplex breaker so both outlets are always switched
together?

BTW, I bought several Insteon switches and controllers form Smarthome, and so
far (one week) I am pleased with them.  I also ordered their computer interface
that you can use to have your computer sense and control things.  Hopefully I
can report more after I have played with it for a while.  I tried some X10
stuff years ago, and decided it was hopelessly flaky.

Doug