Re: [Shop-talk] How to Make Water Flow Downhill

To: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <eltonclark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] How to Make Water Flow Downhill
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:37:53 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Elton E. (Tony) Clark wrote:
> *I can understand why there is slow flow out the vent since there is only an
> inch of "head" above the hose connect but what in 'ell is creating the
> pressure in the photo where the water is spurting out?  Is the downspout
> standing full of water or something?*

    There's no water in the downspout, that's just the pressure from the
several inches of water in the top of the barrel.  As you may have
noticed, the 'seal' between the downspout and the top of the barrel is
just some sloppy tape ( for now ).  Not to mention, the screw-on cap is
off the top, as well, so there's no way for pressure to build ( other than
the several inches to the top of the barrel, that is ).

    I'm not looking to make a pressure washer, though ;)  I just want the
damn overflow to overflow.

    Thanks.

--
  David Hillman