Re: [Shop-talk] recommend a bolt

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] recommend a bolt
From: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:57:35 -0500
Your load will not be "double shear" since in actuality, you are
applying half the load to two places on the bolt.  I'd focus more on
the hardness of the bolt in this application, rather than the shear
strength.  5/8 is a pretty strong grade 5, but if it is not case
hardened it will wear at the point where the two peices move.
Eventually this wear will compromise the bolt no matter what the
strength is.  You could avoid this by clamping the assembly tight and
giving up the tilt capability.  You definetly do not want the load to
ride on the threads, that would concentrate the wear on a vary small
area of the metal and accelerate the failure mode.  I'm not sure what
the hardness of a hitch pin would be, but if you go that route, I
stringly suggest you use a small bolt or other captive locking pin.
THere may be more side load on this than you would guess.