Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning a sealed gas tank

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning a sealed gas tank
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 08:59:11 -0700
> So if it claimed "not compatible with toluene", you'd be okay with
> that?

Sure.  I wouldn't buy it, because it wouldn't be suitable for my
application.  But lots of things aren't suitable for my application.

>  Even though it's impossible to buy gasoline that doesn't
> contain toluene?

Actually it is quite possible.  Coleman camping fuel, for example, meets the
definition of "gasoline" but has no toluene in it.  And with the proper
licenses, etc. you can buy any petroleum fraction that you want.

But since the fuel I buy for my car has both toluene and ethanol, anything
that *I select* to install in my car had best be compatible with those (and
lots of other) chemicals.

> Since, after all, toluene isn't gasoline.

That point is also debatable.  "Gasoline" is defined as a blend of
hydrocarbons distilled from petroleum.  Toluene fits that description,
ethanol does not.

What's next, gonna sue Ford because not all their cars will run on E85
without damage?

Randall