[Shop-talk] Cleaning a sealed gas tank

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Cleaning a sealed gas tank
From: Jim Ferguson <jferguson@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 22:11:48 -0400
In 1992 I sealed my MGA fuel tank with a POR-15 product.  The car was
was finally on the road in 2005.  I drove for about 5000 miles with no
problems.  On a trip to PA in '08 I got some 10% ethanol fuel.  Within
200 miles the fuel intake was clogged.  I drained and cleaned the tank
as best I could and had no problem for the next 2500 miles.  This year
driving to Key West(950 miles) I got some 10% ethanol fuel.  Within 150
miles--clogged intake. I drained the tank and got sheets of liner larger
than a dollar bill.

POR-15 web site has the following info and cleaning procedure posted:

"PVC-type non-curing sealer is yellow in color and will dissolve
in gasoline containing alcohol and other additives..."

"First, pour in about a quart of stripper and let it work on each inside
surface.  It may take 4 strippings to do the job completely. The old
finish may come loose in chunks or pieces or strips, so a long
tweezertype tool is helpful for removal."

The ethanol seems to have pealed some of the sealer but I question even
with paint stripper whether I can ever it it all out.  The baffles are
blocking any vision or tweezers.  Access is a small drain hole in one
section, the filler and the sender hole in another and nothing in the
third.

Is there anything what will dissolve the sealer and let it be flushed
out effectively?   Any ideals???

Jim