Re: [Shop-talk] cable luber

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cable luber
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 14:35:22 -0500
Mark Andy wrote:

> In the dim recesses of my mind, I seem to recall that there's
> such a tool as a speedo cable luber...

Usually, you can disconnect the speedometer cable, pull out the inside
part, apply lube and put it all back together.

But as for a cable luber, I have one.  It's designed for lubing
motorcycle cables.  You disconnect one end of the cable, clamp the tool
over it (with the inner cable sticking out the end) and the rubber
lining of the tool seals up against the two parts of the cable.  Then
you put the tube from the spray can of cable lube into the hole on the
tool and spray away.  It forces the lube along the cable to the other
end.  Works well on brake cables etc. and I don't see why it wouldn't
work on a speedometer cable.

A good motorcycle shop should have one.

One word of warning however, if you get too much lube in the cable, it
can work its way into the speedometer itself.  Then when the grease/oil
gets into the speedometer, it doesn't work very well after that.

Tim Mullen