Re: [Shop-talk] residentual wiring question

To: Rich White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] residentual wiring question
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 16:46:15 -0400
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Rich White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working with wiring in an older building. B Some of the outlets do not
have
> a grounding, bare/green, wire in the box.
> I want to provide the user with an outlet which will accept a three prong
> plug.
>
> As I remember NEC from about twenty years ago...
> if I put a GFCI outlet as the first outlet in the circuit, I can use ground
> outlet in the rest of the circuit even though there isn't a grounding wire.
>
> Is this still the case?

Some places.  You have to label the outlets "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND" and
"GFCI protected".  (I've never seen any labeled, until a couple months
ago, when an inspector pointed this out (and refused to sign off on)
in a building a client uses.)  It's more complicated than this, I
think, too.  (It may be that if you're providing ground plugs other
than at the GFCI, you need ground between the GFCI and the new plugs)
Check your local code!

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com