[Shop-talk] mazda miata issue

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] mazda miata issue
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:05:00 +0000 (UTC)
not at all shop related, but it's my boss' car, I'm at work, and I figure you
guys would be the place for the quick, correct answer.

his 1990 miata has an off-idle/tip-in 'miss' (I think). it idles okay, and at
full throttle, it sounds and seems to pull okay as well. but when he just
starts to put his foot down it seems to be missing. it sounds JUST like an old
air-cooled vw bug. and it shakes, etc.

we just replaced the plugs because it was cheap and quick and that may have
improved things slightly, but the miss is still there. I figure the miata,
lending itself to the scca as it does, and thinking some of you guys might be
scca guys, somebody might know that all miatas have this issue, and it's the
left hand muffler bearing that needs to be replaced. I am the car guy at the
office, and I'm new so it'd be nice to look good. any ideas?

thanks.

scott