Re: [Shop-talk] Blasting media

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Blasting media
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 16:21:47 -0400
Karl Vacek wrote:
> couldn't wait to try my HF cabinet.  It IS a religious experience to have a
> blast cabinet !!

I got me a gen-U-ine NASCAR blast cabinet!  If I gave a rat's about
NASCAR it might be religious  ;)  Andy Petree Racing used to operate out
of my town here, but closed up 4 years ago and auctioned everything off.
  In its old life, it was dedicated to blasting a surface finish on
valves in their cylinder head shop.  I paid too much for it, but it's a
Skat Blast that works better than others I've used, and I told the wife
I got it cheap, hehe.

> I bought HF-s genuine Chinese imitation glass beads - one grade fits all.
> They work OK, but are the beads really supposed to be microscopic bits of
> glass dust ?  ISTR that in the cabinet at work many years ago they were

I got a bag of glass with mine, and later bought some from Northern
Tool.  They're both finer than say salt or sugar you'd find in the
kitchen.  Almost powdery.  If it gets on my epoxy floor, it's like
millions of little ball bearings that make it as slick as wet ice!
Works great on aluminum and not-too-dirty steel.  Almost chews up
aluminum a little more than I'd like;  but badly like Al2O3 I've used in
blasters at work.

-Wayne