[Shop-talk] Blasting media

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Blasting media
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 09:39:23 -0500
Though I planned to make a mobile stand and water filter first, I just
couldn't wait to try my HF cabinet.  It IS a religious experience to have a
blast cabinet !!

I bought HF-s genuine Chinese imitation glass beads - one grade fits all.
They work OK, but are the beads really supposed to be microscopic bits of
glass dust ?  ISTR that in the cabinet at work many years ago they were
recognizably beads, and not that microscopic - as in they were at least large
enough that you could see that they were mostly round.

What sort of media have you guys been using most successfully for general
paint and rust removal ?

I also want to try walnut shells - for aluminum or soft things (like carb
bodies) and anything where tiny grit means later failure.  They sell 12 and 24
grit - do I get the larger and wait till it becomes smaller, or what's the
strategy ?  And are there any tricks to purging all the grit from the cabinet
before switching to walnut shells, corn cobs, etc. ?  Do you perhaps clean it
well, and then put in some of the soft media and spray it around to entrain
all the hard stuff, then discard that and clean the cabinet again before
refilling and using it ??  Or isn't it that critical ??

Thanks !
Karl