Re: [Shop-talk] Wood filler for stripped out screw hole

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wood filler for stripped out screw hole
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:52:41 -0400
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> Any time I need to fix a stripped thread in wood I fill the
>> hole with glue some round wooden toothpicks and glue.
>
> Wooden kitchen matches work too, although they aren't as hard. B I
generally
> use 3 of them, depending on hole size.
>
> But for cases where the screw never was secure enough, I drill the hole out
> to a standard size; and note how deep the drill went to cut off a length of
> hardwood dowel. B Coat it with glue and drive it into the hole, then wait
for
> the glue to dry before drilling a pilot hole and driving in the screw.

I think I'd try a "Mr Grip".  It's perferated metal dohicky that you
stick in the hole, instead of a plug or toothpicks and glue.  Cheap.
Works great.  Lasts forever.  For inexplicable reasons, not available
from any of the Borg "hardware" stores.  My local Ace has them,
though.  cost about 2 bucks for a dozen.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com