Re: [Shop-talk] Cordless angle impact drivers

To: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cordless angle impact drivers
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:44:32 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, nick brearley wrote:
> I'm a fully paid up member of the battery impact gun fan club. But the
> job I have in mind is changing blades on a rotary cultivator type
> machine which has pairs of blades fixed on to flanges three inches
> apart. The limited clearance rules out an impact gun. With two nuts per
> blade that's 96 nuts per change, a job that an air ratchet is ideal for.
> The only thing is you need the ratchet facility to crack the nuts
> manually before spinning them off with air. I don't think the impact
> driver has a ratchet so the nuts would have to be cracked by hand first.

Ah, yeah, with that many to do I'd want the battery ratchet too I think.
:-)

> On the subject of impact guns have you considered something like this:
> http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DW292/
>
> With a generator, I use a Honda eu20i, it's the way to go if you have
> many wheels to change. Not cordless but worth considering. In the shop
> you can have a job done while you're waiting for the compressor to build
> up pressure.

I have an electric impact as well.  For around the shop, air is easy (I
close off a valve and the compressor doesn't lose appreciable amounts of
air between garage sessions), so it doesn't get used.  At the track, the
battery impact is easier and does most everything I need it to do.

But the electric impact is in the trailer for when something goes wrong
with the battery impact.  :-)

Mark