Re: [Shop-talk] Cordless angle impact drivers

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>, 'Shop Talk List'
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cordless angle impact drivers
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 17:07:36 +0000
Mark Andy wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, nick brearley wrote:
>> Wondering if anyone has experience of angle impact drivers as seen here:
>>
>> http://www.makitafactoryoutlet.com/%5Cmakita%5Cproducts%5CBTL061Z.asp
>>
>> I'm looking for something to do the work of an air ratchet on site
>> away from an air supply. Any opinions gratefully received.
>
> I've never used one of those, but I've had a Milwaukee 1/2" battery
> powered impact gun for a long time now... Its easily one of the best
> tool purchases I've ever made.
>
> I don't know what you're doing, but for me with car work, I tend to
> find the the air ratchets of fairly marginal value even when I have
> air handy. If I didn't have it handy, I'd certainly just use a regular
> ratchet.
>
> The impact gun, on the other hand, lets me do stuff that I can't
> easily do another way, like removing wheels without needing to break
> lugs loose, spinning nuts off strut shafts, etc.
Howdy Mark,

I'm a fully paid up member of the battery impact gun fan club. But the
job I have in mind is changing blades on a rotary cultivator type
machine which has pairs of blades fixed on to flanges three inches
apart. The limited clearance rules out an impact gun. With two nuts per
blade that's 96 nuts per change, a job that an air ratchet is ideal for.
The only thing is you need the ratchet facility to crack the nuts
manually before spinning them off with air. I don't think the impact
driver has a ratchet so the nuts would have to be cracked by hand first.

On the subject of impact guns have you considered something like this:

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DW292/

With a generator, I use a Honda eu20i, it's the way to go if you have
many wheels to change. Not cordless but worth considering. In the shop
you can have a job done while you're waiting for the compressor to build
up pressure.

Nick Brearley