Re: [Shop-talk] Stud finder work with metal siding?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stud finder work with metal siding?
From: Bill Rabel <brabel@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:08:28 -0800
Wayne -

I would figure out the what height to mount the bracket and measure
the height of one of the mounting holes. Locate a stud on the inside
and mark the appropriate height. Then drill a 1/4" hole from the
inside, clear through the stud and through the metal. You could drill
any additional holes from the outside. Now just use 5/16" or 3/8" lag
screws to mount the bracket. Strong, weathertight, and accurate.

Some stud finders will help locate electrical wires ("deep scan"), but
I've never been totally sure of them, so I might even open up the
sheetrock and peek before proceeding.

- Bill Rabel
   Anacortes, WA