Re: [Shop-talk] Painting a steel gate

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Painting a steel gate
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 08:46:05 -0500
At 05:43 PM 1/17/2009, old dirtbeard wrote:

 >I have a steel outdoor gate across my drive that needs painting. I don't know
 >if a rattle can would suffice or should I sand, prime and brush it, etc. It
 >has some light rust:

 >I have a compressor and paint guns if that makes more sense. I just
don't want
 >to turn it into a bigger job than it needs to be.

 >I also would like to know what brand paint you might recommend. Thanks in
 >advance for any recommendations.

Doug,

 From the pictures, it looks like the original paint is pretty
oxidized.  I would think
that you'd want to really rough it up to give the new paint something
to stick to.
If not, I think the new paint won't stick very well.

As to how you apply the paint, a brush will give you a thicker coat, which for
an outdoor application like this might be better.

As to the paint, I think I'd use something like Rust-o-lieum or one
of those types
of paint.  They are designed for metal, covering some rust, and outdoor uses.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic