Re: [Shop-talk] storing brake components?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] storing brake components?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:58:52 -0800
> No air, no oxidation.

I'm not sure that follows.  The most common form of corrosion in LBC brakes
appears to me to be dissimilar metal corrosion between aluminum bodies and
steel pistons.  This only requires water in the fluid; and some old test
reports I've seen indicate that conventional brake fluid can suck water (and
salt!) right through flexible brake lines.

As noted, conventional brake fluid needs to be changed regularly even when
the car is not driven.  The manual for my 95 Buick says to change it every 2
years.  And avoiding this requirement is supposedly the reason that DOT 5
was originally developed; so the US military could store vehicles unattended
for a long time, and have them instantly ready for service when needed.

Randall