Re: [Shop-talk] RotoZip router / saws

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] RotoZip router / saws
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 09:45:22 -0600
You take it easy and pay attention!

Here is my method of cutting in boxes:
First, make sure the wires are pushed as far back into the box as
possible. If there are any screws for hanging light fixtures or fans
that stick out past the face of the box, take them out so the drywall
sits tight to the face of the box.
Next, plunge the bit into the inside of the box, then pull it back until
it is only inside the box by less than 1/2".
I like to cut a small (~3/4") hole there and feel to be sure I am in the
box - sometimes tape measures lie!
Head for one side of the box, you will feel the bit hit the box.
Lift the bit until you feel it slip by over the edge of the box, and
push it back into the wall.
Now the secret. There is a correct and wrong direction to cut around
things. The bit will try to move perpendicular to the direction of cut,
so make use of physics. The bit turns clockwise from the top, which
means that the bit will try to move to the left of the direction of cut.
Since you are cutting on the outside of the box, you can use the side of
the box as a guide as to where to cut, so run the cut around the box
counter-clockwise. When you get to the stud you will probably need to
pull the bit up slowly, until it slips in front of the stud. When you
get to a corner you will feel the bit slide around the corner, so you
just change the direction of your pressure.

If you are cutting around the inside of an opening you cut clock-wise
around the opening because the surface you are following is on the
outside of the cut. (Be careful that the framing material you are
following doesn't have any gaps at the corners where the bit can go past
the corner of the cut).

There are several types of drywall bits available, up-cut, down-cut,
piloted and non-piloted. For drywall, use down cut bits to push the dust
back into the wall. If you are using any guide surface that is not
steel, use piloted bits, the non-piloted bits will eat right through
plastic and be difficult to push on wood. I also use 1/8" bits for
cutting in boxes and 1/" bits for cutting doors and windows. 1/8" bits
come in packs of 5 or 10 and you will break several while doing a house.

When working overhead, wear safety goggles and try not to breathe much dust.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Mark Andy, On 1/11/2009 9:00 AM:

--
---
Pat Horne                              512.797.7501