Re: [Shop-talk] recommend a biscuit jointer

To: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>, "Shop Talk List"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] recommend a biscuit jointer
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:48:13 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Andy"
> Yeah, that's the problem...  I really only have immediate plans to
> build this (reasonably extensive) set of built in bookshelves.  I
> imagine I won't make more than 50 cuts with the thing before I put
> it on a shelf for quite a while.
>
> Has anyone else used one of the HF versions?

I am generally leery of HF tools. Sometimes they are cheap enough that
one can justify buying 2 or 3 and still pay less than one 'quality'
tool for a job you might only need a tool occasionally. But I don't
think a biscuit joiner would be a good one to experiment with. You
could ruin some nice wood and end up paying just as much or more vs
buying a decent tool.

I have a Freud biscuit joiner. I've had it for many years - before PC
and Dewalt, etc came out with their versions. At the time (those many
years ago) it was a knock-off of a very expensive Lamello model. It
looks like they still sell it:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolguideDirectory.aspx?dir=Biscuit+Joiners

My joiner looks like this one:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=5633
Other than buying a replacement blade so that I can send one out for
sharpening and continue to work I've not needed any repairs.

The main advantage of most of the newer models is that the fences
appear easier to adjust for various joints & some have dust collection
(they shoot out lots of sawdust). I just try to plan my work so that
all joints needing similar set ups are done without needing to adjust
the fence back & forth. And then I sweep up the shop when I'm done...

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell