Re: [Shop-talk] Dremel die grinder

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dremel die grinder
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:56:18 -0800
> I'm considering buying one of the mini die grinder kits with accessories
> made
> by Dremel. Never had one before. Anyone on the list found them useful?  If
> so,
> any recommendations on particular models to look at?

I've owned a fixed speed Dremel for over 30 years.  As noted, it's pretty
small, which is both its strength and it's biggest limitation.  In spite of
having several larger tools, I still use the Dremel fairly often.  Had it
out just a few days ago, cutting a slot into a broken screw inside a
steering wheel hub.

At various times, I've tried making it both reversible and variable speed.
IMO neither one is worth bothering with.  That tiny motor just doesn't have
much torque, so if you try to slow it down the available power seems to drop
to almost nothing.  OTOH it's possible the newer ones work better than my
antique one does.

Randall