Re: [Shop-talk] Shop-talk Digest, Vol 2, Issue 364

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop-talk Digest, Vol 2, Issue 364
From: "Rex Burkheimer" <burkheimer@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:57:00 -0600
> I'm considering buying one of the mini die grinder kits with accessories made
> by Dremel. Never had one before. Anyone on the list found them useful?  If so,
> any recommendations on particular models to look at?  Pros & cons?  Thanks,
> Gene

I use my 30 year old Dremel about once a week.  I have a full machine
shop and all the power and hand tools I've ever wanted, but some
things require a Dremel. Best example offhand is cutting screw slots
when the original has become useless.  You can get the milling machine
up under the dash to get that stubborn screw out.  Also polishing
small items, like pistol parts.  And I widh I'd had one when I was
building those muzzleloader kits years ago.  They would be great for
inletting wood stocks to fit metal parts.
   Same goes for the air-driven mini-die grinders. I haven't bought
one, but I ought to.
   As someone else said, Dremel bits are too expensive. I buy the HF
or Kawasaki brand bit sets for under $20 and I'm good for a year or
two. Only the reinforced cutoff wheels do I buy from Dremel, because I
use those a lot.

Rex B