Re: [Shop-talk] testing cooktop switch?

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] testing cooktop switch?
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 22:29:11 -0500
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> The switch is not cheap.  Is there a way to test the old switch with
>> an ohm meter or something to make certain this is the problem before
>> I buy the new switch.
>
> Can you access the connections between the switch and the element?  Easiest
> test would be to check the voltage applied to the element.
>
> Of course you could try using an ohmmeter to check continuity through the
> switch, but because of the very low resistance required that method might
> give you false results.
>
> If the 'special' switch is particularly expensive, I might be tempted to
> insert a relay.  I recently bought one rated more than you need, for under
> $25 (including shipping) on flea-bay.

That won't work.  This is an electric range, so the switch isn't just
a switch, it's also a controller of some sort.  Depending on the
range, it's either a multi-pole switch, or a dimmer type switch, or a
switch with a heater in it (that acts as a timer on the burner's duty
cycle.  Yeah.  That's nuts.  It's very common.), or a switch that
controls a thermostat at the burner.  Or maybe something else
entirely.  Each of those has a different trouble shooting technique,
but my first shot at fixing would be to take it apart and see if
there's something that can be cleaned or adjusted.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com