Re: [Shop-talk] testing cooktop switch?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] testing cooktop switch?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 13:35:50 -0800
> The switch is not cheap.  Is there a way to test the old switch with
> an ohm meter or something to make certain this is the problem before
> I buy the new switch.

Can you access the connections between the switch and the element?  Easiest
test would be to check the voltage applied to the element.

Of course you could try using an ohmmeter to check continuity through the
switch, but because of the very low resistance required that method might
give you false results.

If the 'special' switch is particularly expensive, I might be tempted to
insert a relay.  I recently bought one rated more than you need, for under
$25 (including shipping) on flea-bay.

Randall