Re: [Shop-talk] Crescent stainless "gear wrenches"

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Crescent stainless "gear wrenches"
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 21:29:58 -0800
> Has anyone seen these recently ?

Do you mean these ?
http://tinyurl.com/5sejst

>  The stainless construction

I couldn't find any reference to Crescent brand in stainless, only chrome
(like all the others).

> Alternatively, what brands of these things are good ?  The
> ones I see at Sneers and Sawbucks

Worth noting perhaps, that Sears sells effectively the same product but in
two different forms.  They carry both GearWrench brand, and Craftsman.  I
like the GearWrench ones; in fact I just picked up a partial set on flea-bay
(which still had the 4 sizes I use most, 7/16 - 5/8) in addition to the 4 or
5 sets I already have (except for the long flat 7/16", which I think got
left in a parking lot in Tulsa).  The Craftsman ones are thicker.

> seem awfully thick, and
> wouldn't get onto a nut or bolt head anywhere near a vertical surface.

Hard to say from an illustration, but I don't think the ones shown in the
document above are any thinner than my flat GearWrench ones.
http://tinyurl.com/5eob7u

But the reversible angled ones are thicker.  (As are the really cheap ones
from Horrible Freight.)

Randall