Re: [Shop-talk] single vs. dual stage compressors

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] single vs. dual stage compressors
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:04:11 -0600
The other side of that is that if you don't regularly need the higher
pressure, 2-stage compressors are less efficient than single-stage.  You'lll
get more air with the same actual horsepower from a single-stage compressor
operating at 120 PSI maximum than a 2-stage at 175 PSI maximum, assuming
you're only using maybe 90-100 PSI for your tools or whatever.

The idea of filling your tank more is great if you're doing something
intermittently, but if you're using air pretty steadily the size of the tank
is essentially meaningless.  If you want to do something requiring more air
than your compressor puts out, you'll have to work a few minutes, then wait
a few minutes while the compressor catches up.  If that's OK, then a 2-stage
might be OK for you, giving you that high pressure if you ever need it.  But
what are you going to use 175 PSI air for in a typical home shop ?

If you have a 2-stage with sufficient pumping capacity - a big enough
compressor head and motor to keep up at 100% demand - and if you don't need
high pressure most of the time, you can improve its efficiency a little by
just setting the pressure switch lower.  There's no use in pumping up a tank
of 175 PSI air if the highest pressure you usually use is 100 PSI, AS LONG
AS you have sufficient compressor capacity.

And though 2-stage compressors are indeed more efficient at high pressures
than single-stage ones, they're less efficient when compared to single-stage
compressors in the working range of the single-stage unit.  So if you don't
need high pressure ever, don't go 2-stage.  You'll get more air per dollar
of purchase price and per dollar of running cost with a single-stage.

But nothing impresses the women like a 175 PSI compressor - it's so much
more macho than a wimpy single-stage, so if you have to have one, then go
for it   ;-)

Then there are horsepower ratings.  I hope Randall will expand on this
because I really don't like thinking about electronics, but be aware that
horsepower ratings are often a complete fairy tale, particularly in consumer
brands.  I strictly look at voltage and amperage, and compare from there.

Karl