Re: [Shop-talk] hydronic heat retrofit?

To: doug@dougbraun.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] hydronic heat retrofit?
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 05:58:59 -0800 (PST)
> Can you modify the ductwork to emit some warm air into
> that subfloor area?

It's about a 20' run to the nearest duct, and that duct is
already supplying two rooms! And the ducts are made
of paperboard covered with a "white crystalline substance"
that I'd really rather not disturb (and no, I don't
want to know what it is, because if I know, I'll have
to do something about it :-)

I spent time poking around the web last night and it appears
that installing PEX line under the subfloor isn't unheard of.
Not cheap, and I'd have to figure out where to put the boiler,
but an interesting idea ... as is installing a baseboard
hydronic unit.

I also discovered some modern electric space heaters for permanent
install - like this one, which is quite intriguing:

http://www.amazon.com/Eco-heater-602-whole-room-heater/dp/B00185XISW

I can imagine hard-wiring one of these into a couple of places
on a timer.