[Shop-talk] hydronic heat retrofit?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] hydronic heat retrofit?
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 19:51:53 -0800 (PST)
We live in a 1927 California Craftsman that has a central forced air
furnace ... that must have been some sort of retrofit, I'm guessing,
but maybe not (most houses in that period were built with in-floor
gas heaters). The furnace looks to have been built in the 60s,
and the ducts could easily be older. One of these days we'll
have to replace the furnace, and I'm not looking forward to that.

A couple of rooms (including the master bath) were added
after the fact, and have no heat at all - they're too far
from the furnace. The living room has one duct outlet, but
it's not very effective.

We have electric space heaters in a couple of places and they
work, but ... well, the master bath is damned cold in the morning,
and the tub is miserable for the first person to shower. I'd
like to do something about that. If the floor wasn't tile,
I'd think about putting electric resistance mat underneath,
but I really don't want to tear out the tile.

I was wondering if it might be possible to plumb hydronic heat
into the existing subfloor (2x8 joists on 16)? Not really the
way it's normally done, I know, and perhaps prohibitively
expensive.

I guess there are also hydronic baseboard units... has
anyone here gone down this path?