Re: [Shop-talk] Blower for woodstove, and ouside combustion air

To: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>, "'Shop Talk'"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Blower for woodstove, and ouside combustion air
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:24:16 -0700
At 06:06 PM 10/27/2008 -0700, cornerexit wrote:

>I'm also considering adding outside combustion air for this stove. As you
>can see from the picture the combustion air is drawn up through a hole in
>the bottom of the stove. This hole is a little under 4" diameter circle. I
>should be able to put some sort of 90 on there and run straight out the back
>wall, and then put some sort of grill/screen that will prevent water from
>getting in while it is running down the surface of the exterior wall.
>

>What are my options for ducting material in this application?
When I remodelled my house, outside air was a requirement for the
fireplaces.  It was 4 inch round aluminum? air duct as I recall.
In my case, I was able to buy a little damper that I installed in
the side of the fireplace so you close off the outside air.  I
can't see this stuff anymore but I suspect that I used a dryer
vent to go through the exterior wall and made a little hood out
of copper.

Think fire resistant, with a damper, and a screen to keep the
critters out and I think you'll have it.