Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection

To: Chip Mautz <clmautz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:39:32 -0400
So, you're not sure if you're a jeep or an old ford?  :-)  Seriously,
though, I think you're pushing your luck a bit.  3000miles/ 3 years
is conservative and perhaps unnecessary.  But 15K?  I know you say
all your cars are running great, but that still doesn't make it a
good idea.  As for the reformulation, the latest crop of motor oils
have removed or greatly reduced a component called ZDDP.  There has
been much talk in classic car circles about this, and the possible
negative effect on "flat tappet" engines.  If you have such a car, I
suggest you look at one the many articles on the subject.  Here are a
couple of examples:

http://www.ttalk.info/Zddp.htm
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/index.html

  Google on "ZDDP" and you'll find plenty more.  If you do not have
such a car, then don't worry about it.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net