Re: [Shop-talk] Compressor Stand

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Compressor Stand
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:15:28 -0400
Rush wrote:
> My HVAC professional suggested building a 9-inch stand for my heat pump
> to make it more efficient. He mentioned that landscaping blocks work,
> but I'd like to build something that looks a little less jury-rigged and

Huh???  Can I ask what the logic is behind this?  The typical outdoor
coil breathes through the top sand sides.  I see no air flow advantage.
  Are you trying to thermally de-couple it from the ground?  That does
not make sense, as the ground is typically at a more favorable temp for
a heat pump to work (think ground sourced heat pump.)

I will readily admit I'm prejudiced and cynical, as I've met a lot of
HVAC "professionals" with stupid misconceptions, ignorance of basic
thermodynamics and physics, and plain dumbness.

I think you could see more gain from home insulation, duct sealing, etc.

   -Wayne