Re: [Shop-talk] aluminum house wiring

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] aluminum house wiring
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 19:03:26 -0700
> My son bought a house built in 1969. I discovered that it has
> aluminum wiring. Anything special I need to be aware of?

Lots of good advice, and I'm sure it's all correct.

But I've got to say, if it was my family, I'd just rewire with copper.
There is an excellent reason it's now illegal in most place to use aluminum
wire in a residence.  And short of tearing apart walls and so forth, there
is no way to be certain that you've found every single splice.  My home was
built about the same time as your son's; and it has problems even with
original copper wiring.  With aluminum over 50 times as likely to cause a
fire ...

Randall