Re: [Shop-talk] aluminum house wiring

To: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>, "shop-talk"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] aluminum house wiring
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:19:14 -0400
Hi, Eric and all,

    Several other replies have been good information for you.  I'd suggest
visiting this web-site: http://www.inspect-ny.com/aluminum/aluminum.htm for
more information than you ever wanted to know!

    The BEST repair is totally rewiring the house with coper (yeah, right!)
with the Tyco COPALUM as second best.  However, around 2000 I called Tyco
and basically was told that the product was pretty much discontinued (or
words to that effect).  Also, finding a "local" company to do it is
virtually impossible as the demand has dropped off.

    One newer product mentioned is the AlumiConn product.  I bought some of
these at my local Lowe's though I think they aren't carrying them anymore.
Web-site at www.alumiconn.com with links to purchase online.

    Of course the most amusing part of the AlumiConn product is that the UL
listing doesn't apply unless the set screws are tightened using a torque
screwdriver to 10 to 15 in-lbs (depending on wire size).  Searching for
torque screwdrivers with the correct range yield the following products:
http://www.emaxaction.com/cdi401sm.aspx (~$200), http://www.toolsource.com
with SK4-22in-lb for $187, http://www.srtorque.com/tamatsd.html with no
pricing from the company (I read this as $$$$), and finally the "value"
proposition, Wiha tools: http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/285serie_Fix.htm ,
$90 each for preset units or an adjustable unit for about $115
http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/285vario_s.htm.  Looks like this product
requires special blades or a $9 adaptor.

    If I decide to use the AlumiConn's I'd get the Wiha tool and adaptor.
The only other tip I read somewhere on the inspect-ny site was to coat the
Al wire with anti-ox and while keeping it coated scrub the surface of the
wire with abrasive paper.  The anti-ox is supposed to keep the Al from
instantly getting an insulating Aluminum oxide coating thereby helping with
its conductivity.

    OK, I've said enough for now.

Mark Watson
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' (long term restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon (awaiting transmission swap)
various transportation pods