[Shop-talk] Quality Ratchets

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Quality Ratchets
From: "Wayne" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:53:04 -0700
For all my life Ive used low quality (craftsman) ratchets for my wrenching.
At one time I had one high quality SK but I lost it in a move one year. The
craftsman ratchets I have are junk. They take 600 degrees of movement to
ratchet one click, and they are not durable at all. Im tired of having to
take them to sears only to have sears give me another one with a rebuild
kit in it that is just the same junk.

I am going to replace my <, 3/8, and = drive craftsman ratchets with
something of higher quality and precision. I want a ratchet that doesnt
require half a football field of movement just to ratchet ahead one click.
I want to buy fixed head version and flex head versions, but I dont want
the typical flex head design that pivots outside the perimeter of the head.
You probably know the type, many of them end up as floppies which wont
hold a position and have no means of tightening the pivot.

The flex head design Im thinking of pivots about the centerline of the head
and has a set screw that allows one to adjust the tension on the pivot as it
wears. With the handle pivoting about the centerline of the head you can put
the handle straight up and use the ratchet to spin the fasteners on/off
until such time the leverage of the ratchet handle is needed.

Who makes some quality ratchets I should be looking at? Anybody have a flex
ratchet as Ive described? Who is the manufacturer?

Thanks

Wayne