Re: [Shop-talk] Liquid paint stripper?

To: "Jim Franklin" <jamesf@groupwbench.org>, "Shop Talk List"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Liquid paint stripper?
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:29:37 -0500
The really nasty (but unfortunately effective too) ingredient isn't MEK
(methyl ethyl ketone), it's methylene chloride.  Been identified as a potent
carcinogen for decades.

3M makes a product called "Safest Stripper" with a weak acid (unusual type,
but I can't remember what it is).  It takes longer, but works OK on most
typical coatings, but not so great on 2-part coatings.  You can coat the
hinges with stripper and then keep them in zip-lock bags or similar.

There are also limonene-based strippers like Citrustrip that work OK on
single-component coatings like house paint, varnish, etc.

Good luck !

Karl