Re: [Shop-talk] OT - Java is sloooow

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT - Java is sloooow
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:24:58 -0700
> What alternatives are there ??

Haven't tried it myself, but a friend swears that Linux runs orders of
magnitude faster than Windows on those old machines.  If you don't need any
special-purpose applications (like games or such), that might be a way to
go.

No doubt I'll get flamed for saying this, but my home machine was about like
yours until I stuffed in more RAM for editing graphics.  Still running Win2K
Pro, nowhere near as slow as you describe.  You could also try downgrading
to Win2K ...

And I'm assuming you've already done the usual stuff : cleared out
unnecessary processes and features, disabled file indexing, defragmented the
hard drive (including the swap file), cleaned out any spyware, etc.  I'd
also uninstall Norton AV if you have it, it can be an invisible CPU hog.

Randall