Re: [Shop-talk] OT - Java is sloooow

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT - Java is sloooow
From: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
That's probably going to be the machine. :)   Jscript
is still available on
the MS website and I think the
current version is 5.6 and it is compatible
with XP.
I last checked a month ago.
FWIW, I have an old 1.1ghz laptop that
I use as a
print server. When I boot it up to print something, I
walk away
and return about 10 mins later. If I use IE
to get into webmail and that
takes another 5-10 mins.
You could probably experiment with a ram drive and
send your temp directories to it, (like the java cache,
and the windows temp
directory.) When I did that on
slower machines, it made a noticeable
improvement
in speed. Now, with machines as fast as they are,
I have not
been able to notice a significant improvement
with those ram drives. You
could also try a USB memory
stick to accomplish the same thing, although you
would
have to wait until the usb drivers get loaded up.
Brian
battmain@yahoo.com