Re: [Shop-talk] I need help with staining new windows

To: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>, Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] I need help with staining new windows
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:27:25 -0700
One way to even stain out is to apply a wash coat of shellac.  Get a
can of clear shellac; Zinser is the brand I see most often.  They
sell clear and amber.  You want the clear.  Then you want to cut it
way back.  Shellac is mixed in "pound" cuts.  The stuff they sell in
cans is usually a 3 pound cut, 3 pounds of raw shellac flakes to a
gallon of denatured alcohol.  You want a 1 lb cut (or
lighter).  Dilute the shellac with two to three parts of denatured
alcohol to one part of canned shellac.  Put this on a piece of scrap,
let it dry, lightly sand with fine sandpaper, then stain.

Dave C