[Shop-talk] Corrugated fiberglass panels. How many screws?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Corrugated fiberglass panels. How many screws?
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 03:22:22 +0000
I am putting corrugated fiberglass panels up as a cover over a deck.  I bought
the thickest white ones my local Menard's carries.  The finished roof will be
about 17 x 8 feet.  This is a simple shed-style roof, with water draining down
the corrugations at a 16-degree angle to a (wavy) drip edge.

Each panel is 8 feet long, and covers 2 feet wide when overlapped one
wavelength.  I have corrugated strips of wood which purport to match the shape
of the fiberglass.  The concept is that one drills a hole through the top of
the wave and put a pole-barn screw (with built-in rubber washer) through the
top of the wave, through the corrugated strip and into the wood crosspiece
below.  I have four such crosspieces.

My question is:  How many screws do I need across each panel?

If I put them three across, that would be a dozen screws through each panel
(the overlap section would mean that two panels share the four screws on the
edge).  Is this enough?

BTW, I don't intend to cut any of these panels.  The panel length should be
correct, and I will make the width come out correct by overlapping more than
one wavelength.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,