Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen
From: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:17:14 -0400
My circa 1961 home had Federal Pacific panels when I bought it about 8
years ago. The very first thing I had done was have both my panels
swapped out. My house has both 220 service and a separate 3 phase
service that runs the condensing unit....

In the first week I was in the house, before the panels had been changed
out, the electric water heater stopped working. The plumber from the
home warranty company pushed the reset button on the water heater, which
promptly exploded and blew a hole in the tank! Water spurting out,
electricity arcing like a Jacobs ladder, and the federal pacific breaker
never tripped...

Yeah, DEFINITELY change out that panel. Cutler Hammer or Square D.

Marc